Fixed: Value cannot be null, Parameter name: fieldNameTranslator

Posted on Updated on

In this post, I’m going to tackle an error I encountered previously during my upgrade execution to v.8.1 Update-2. There were various discussions over the internet related to this common issue, so if the fix I’m going to provide shortly didn’t resolve your issue, I encourage you to take a look at these blogs / posts, as well.

  1. Getting error on Content Editor after upgrading to Sitecore 8, here
  2. Error in contenttestingupdate.aspx while performing a Sitecore upgrade, here
  3. Content Search rebuild index error, here
  4. Resolved Sitecore SOLR provider error, here

If you have a blog post, that tackles the same issue with different approach / suggestions from the above links, please feel free to comment below so I can add it also in the list.

Value cannot be null Parameter name fieldNametranslator

I faced this issue when configuring SOLR as my search provider in my local instance – migrated from the production instance of one of my clients.

My scenario:

  1. I log-in to Sitecore, and the dashboard page loaded properly
  2. I navigated to Desktop interface, and it loads properly as well.
  3. I navigated to Content Editor, and it throw the above error.

Upon checking on my configurations, I missed to disabled every single file that has ‘Lucene’ on its file name. I did, but it’s still showing the same error.

I compared the DLLs of Content Search and Castle Windsor – in this case my IOC, and they were not assembly identical. So, I replaced all the DLLs from a freshly installed instance – in this case v.8.1 Update-2, but the issue keeps showing.

Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.CastleWindsorIntegration.dll

Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.CastleWindsorIntegration.dll - assembly discrepancy.png

Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.dll

Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.dll - assembly discrepancy.png

The above were just two (2) out of many file version discrepancies I had encountered.

When you upgrade to a particular Sitecore Platform version, in the Sitecore Experience Platform page (eg. v.8.1 Update-2), there is a SOLR Support package you should use to overwrite the existing assemblies you have in your bin folder.

Sitecore - SORL Support Package dlls

 

Warning: You don’t need all of these DLLs. In my case, I used Castle Windsor as my IOC. So what I only need are:

  1. Castle.Facilities.SolrNetIntegration.dll
  2. Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.dll
  3. Sitecore.ContentSearch.Linq.Solr.dll
  4. Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.CastleWindsorIntegration.dll
  5. Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.dll
  6. SolrNet.dll
  7. StructureMap.SolrNetIntegration.dll

The Sitecore Search Scaling Guide is an essential documentation that explained the files you only need in a particular IOC implementation. You can read the chapter 3.3.1, but I would just paste it here to make it more easier for you.

Sitecore Scaling Guide - Selecting the Correct Support DLL files.JPG

Lastly, I altered the Global.asax file.

From: 

Inherits="Sitecore.Web.Application"... 

To:

Inherits="Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.CastleWindsorIntegration.WindsorApplication"...

I tried it again, and the Content editor loads properly now.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s